Thursday, January 19, 2017

Skylar's Message: Love Yourself

I met Skylar (@abuses) at one of the booths at last summer's NY Empire State Tattoo Expo (@nyempirestatetattooexpo) in New York City. She is an apprentice at First Class Tattoo (@firstclassnyc) in Manhattan.

She shared the following tattoo from her arm with us, credited to Douglas Grady (@douglasgrady) from Magic Cobra Tattoo Society (@magiccobratattoo) in Brooklyn.


Skylar explained how this tattoo came to be:
"I got this tattoo ... after me and my ex broke up ... I was going through a weird time in my life when I was really depressed, had a lot of anxiety. I wasn't really wanting to do anything with my life and I kinda had poured all of myself into this one person ... loved him a lot more than I loved myself and after we fell apart, I realized, 'Shit, I don't have anything for myself ... fuck that. I gotta go and make something of myself instead'... So I decided if something's going to make me commit to doing something, it's going to be putting it on my body forever. So I went, on an impulse ... walked in and was like, 'Doug, I need you to tattoo this on me.' He tattooed it on me and literally, from that moment, I've just been working real hard and trying to better myself and just reminding myself that I come before anyone else, even if I do love them. Because, how am I gonna love somebody if I can't love myself?"
A great lesson indeed!

Doug Grady's work has appeared on Tattoosday previously, here.

Thanks to Skylar for sharing this cool tattoo with us here on Tattoosday!

This entry is ©2017 Tattoosday.

If you are seeing this on another website other than Tattoosday, without attribution, please note that it has been copied without the author's permission and is in violation of copyright laws. Please feel free to visit http://tattoosday.blogspot.com and read our original content. Please let me know if you saw this elsewhere so I contact the webmaster of the offending site and advise them of this violation in their Terms of Use Agreement.

No comments: